Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Easy DIY Pom-Pom Maker

Pom-poms are such a great thing for Holiday decorating, don't you think? They are relatively cheap and crazy easy to make. You can use Pom-pom makers which are pretty great. OR you can make a cheap one out of some cardboard. I made mine out of the top of a pizza box. HA! All you need to do is cut a rectangle as wide as you want your finished poms-poms. Then cut a notch out of one end right down the middle. Instant pom-pom maker.


Voila! Perfect pom-pom maker.


Next cut a long piece of yarn.


Then fold it in half over your notch.


Then start wrapping! Make sure you wrap loosely or you will start bending the two tines.


Remember that the more you wrap the bigger and thicker your finished pom-pom will be. I wrap 60 to 80 times myself. Another tip is to try and wrap evenly. If you wrap it really big in the middle you will have more to trim at the end. Next take the piece of yarn that is fold over the notch and wrap it around the middle of your pom. Tie and knot the yarn super tight twice! Which is hard! You want the middle nice and tight so your pom doesn't lose strings.


Carefully slide off your pom-pom maker. And you have a cute little yarn bow. 


Now cut all the strings.


Next I roll the pom-pom gently between my hands to fluff it up. Then start trimming that bad boy! All I do is take tufts of yarn and hold it between my fingers. Whatever yarn is really poking up I cut off. 


Now you have a great pom-pom! You can leave the yarn the is used to tie the middle long and use them to tie to something. A cute package maybe? Or you can use a big plastic needle and thread them together through the middle and make a pom-pom garland. I made one for Halloween and it is super cute! They are a great little project to work on while watching a movie. Which is exactly what I did. Plus the kids love making them! Anytime I pull my stuff out to start making some they jump right in!

No comments:

Post a Comment