Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

DIY 20 min skirt made from a T-Shirt 1 seam and no heming! A must see!

So Miss Berry has decided to be Fiona (from Adventure Time) for Halloween. Enter the need for a cute simple blue knit skirt. Now, I have a confession...I hate to hem. I do it because I have to but if I can avoid it I will. Its no bueno to me. So what has a built in hem?? A T-Shirt. This baby only took me about 20 minutes and the request is already in for a maxi skirt next. It would be adorable in Christmas colors or a stripe!! Right??
Here is what I did and used...
1 boys T-shirt Med 8-10 (I just looked for a Tee that was going to be the right length under the armpit)
1.5 inch elastic 
(I just wrapped it around her waist and then took about an inch off for the length of elastic needed)
matching thread
I cut the shirt right under the arm pits

Like so...
Then turn the "skirt" inside out and measure for your casing and turn down the fabric accordingly.



Then I pinned. I like to double pin on both sides of the opening needed for threading the elastic through but this isn't necessary if you watch to avoid sewing the casing shut.


Sew around the casing being sure to leave an opening for the elastic to be pulled through.


 Attach a safety pin to the elastic to lead the elastic. I also will use an second safety pin to pin the end of the elastic to the skirt to ensure that I don't pull the elastic all the way through.  Once the elastic make it completely through and the ends have met; sew them together and then sew the opening shut. 

Tada!!




Maxi skirts here we come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment