Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pumpkin Planter

It is fall!! YAY! I love the colors, smells, tastes and sites of fall. I love the cool days and crisp nights. Oh fall, you so pretty. I thought with it being the first day of fall that a fun DIY was in order. A pumpkin and mum DIY. So check it out! 


A pumpkin planter! It is crazy easy and so beautiful. The colors of those mums with the orange of that pumpkin is just lovely. It is a little bit of a bummer because it is temporary. Eventually the pumpkin will rot. However, I don't mind that because fall is temporary too! Lets throw caution to the wind and enjoy it. 



The supplies you need are:
One pumpkin
One to two mum plants- I did two because they were pretty small and my pumpkin was pretty good sized.
Carving knife
Spoon for scraping out the innards of the pumpkin
Bowl or pan to gather the seeds
Spray bottle with half bleach and half water
Potting soil


Cut a big hole in the top of the pumpkin. Make the hole bigger than you would for a jack-o-lantern. It needs to be big enough to easily plant your mums. Use the spoon to scrape out all the innards of the pumpkin.  


Super clean! The cleaner the inside of your pumpkin the better. 


Flip your pumpkin upside down and cut a drainage hole. You can do this with a drill but I just used the knife to cut a hole. 


This next step is important! Spray the inside and out of your pumpkin with your bleach mixture. Really wet it down. Then let it dry thoroughly. The bleach solution helps to preserve the pumpkin so it takes longer to rot. 


Now plant your mums. Fill the bottom of your pumpkin up a bit with soil and then put your mums with the root ball fully attached. I shoved two little mums in my pumpkin. Then I  had to use my hands to put dirt in all the crevices. Make sure you don't tamp down the soil. You don't want it tight! It will last longest in a cool place.  


Now enjoy your temporary but beautiful pumpkin planter. This would make a great centerpiece for a party. I will post updates of how it is holding up over the next few weeks. 

Peace Out- AnneMarie 

No comments:

Post a Comment