Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I love a good makeover!

I have been thinking a lot about making smarter choices in my home decor lately. I have always been of the opinion that if I love something it must mean that I should put it in my house. And that really hasn't changed. However, I am now starting to want my home to be a little more cohesive. A little more intentional if you will. Maybe it is age? Who knows? So with that in mind I have chosen a color palette. If I am being totally honest that was just a coincidence. The colors of choice have been black and gold. I love the combo. I can't get away from it! This is a little re-do of a favorite art print to better reflect my family.



This is a print I purchased a while back from 20x200. I made the mat and painted the frame gold. And I loved it! Now? Not so much. But I still love the print. So I decided to make it a little bit more our current style. I wanted to cover a photo mat with gold leaf but it is crazy expensive so I improvised. I used gold candy wrappers!  


My supplies: elmers glue, black paint, poster board, gold candy wrappers and paint brushes. Of course scissors and a exacto knife also. To start I cut a new mat out of a poster board using the old mat as a guide.


I found that if you leave the candy wrappers flat and smooth the seams are much more noticeable. Which is not pretty. So I crumpled them up.


Then flattened them back out. After that I basically just glued the wrappers onto the new mat layering as I went. To finish it off I wrapped the wrappers around the mat. The glue left the bright gold wrapper a little dull. So I used a shiny spray sealant to shine it back up and seal the wrappers. I am not totally positive that this is an archival friendly project so I left my print in the plastic sleeve it came in. To finish it off I painted the frame black. Easy Peasy!


Ta-da! I am excited with how it turned out. I must admit that it doesn't really look like gold leaf but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment