Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Bonneville Salt Falts

There are many places on my travel bucket list. There are places across the world. For example; Greece, the inverted tower in Portugal, Egypt(!), the pink lake in Australia- just to name a few. There are also a ton right here in Utah that I am dying to see. Right here in my backyard. 


Like this one! The Bonneville Salt Flats. The salt flats are out of this world. Like I swear they are literally from out of this world. Nick and I have meant to get out to the Salt Flats basically from the time he took a real interest in photography. It was an incredible experience.




I warn you that it is not a short drive. I mean it is relatively short in the grand scheme of things but not with children. It took us about 2 hours to get out there and about 2 hours home. For those who are local- you are ten minutes east of Wendover. You just hop on I-80 West and go. They aren't hard to find. You drive until you see a totally alien landscape and then stop. There is a rest stop with picnic tables on the north side of the freeway- that is one place you can stop but you can also just pull off the side of the freeway and check them out. I would definitely recommend the rest stop because it seems the safer option. I wish we had taken pictures of it but we didn't! Now onto the pictures. I am warning you- this is a picture heavy post. They really speak for themselves.




Nicco is taking after his daddy!




I am running in this picture! RUNNING! Just thought you oughta know. hehe You can also drive right out onto the flats. You can drive all the way to those mountains on the other side if you fancy doing that.









 
We must have spotted 4-6 other groups but it is so vast and so massive that you still feel totally isolated. It is a humbling experience. The strangest part to me was how quiet it was. Anyone know why it is so crazy quiet out there? I assume that the salt muffles the sound but even the sound from the freeway was gone. It is a place that you can definitely here yourself think. 



I kid you not this is the best group picture we got. 




The landscape was breathtaking. 




UGH! SO beautiful.

A couple words of advice if you go out there. If you take kids with you then you need to take things to entertain them! It is a totally rad place but my kids were bored with it pretty quick. Stay and see the stars because woah. Wear shoes that you don't care about. The salt is almost moist so your shoes will be caked in it. And it is crazy windy out there so be prepared for that. Take water and snacks- this is always my advice! 

What places are on your bucket list? I found this article listing some great places in Utah to visit. Goblin Valley is definitely going to be a place we visit soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment